Michigan Constitutional and Statutory Texts to be posted in Schools and related buildings
House Bill 5703 amends the Revised School Code to require the boards of school districts or intermediate school districts (ISDs), the boards of directors of public school academies (PSAs, or charter schools), the Michigan Department of Education, and the State Board of Education to ensure that the following texts are prominently posted in specified areas, beginning on January 1, 2023:
Section 1 of Article VIII of the Michigan Constitution of 1963:
Religion, morality and knowledge being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged.
Section 10 of the Revised School Code:
It is the natural, fundamental right of parents and legal guardians to determine and direct the care, teaching, and education of their children. The public schools of this state serve the needs of the pupils by cooperating with the pupil's parents and legal guardians to develop the pupil's intellectual capabilities and vocational skills in a safe and positive environment.
Both selections must be posted in the following areas, in a manner that is easily accessible by the public:
• The room or rooms in which the board or board of directors conducts its meetings.
• An office in the school district’s, ISD’s, or PSA’s administrative building.
• The principal’s or chief administrator’s office at each school operated by the board or board of directors, as applicable.
• Each building operated by the Department of Education.
• Each room where the State Board of Education meets.
The texts also must be included in each manual and other training materials provided to each employee of the Department of Education and the State Board of Education.
Proposed MCL 380.10a